Tuesday, June 21, 2011

superflat





Google's idea to give their millions of internet searchers a new 'play' on their homepage is genius as it apparently garners a lot of attention (I think its referred to as the 'google doodle').  Today's really caught me and struck a chord.  I love Murakami's art, perfectly described today by a  member of the Spoonfed Arts Team as, 'sunny, although still slightly weird'.  Though I can't really call myself a fan.  I was obsessed the first time I saw the colorful maniacally happy flowers, determined to own some silly piece of the artists work -this would have to be close to ten years ago now.  But besides the bright flowers and cute-but-odd animals I didn't really follow Takashi Murakami's career. 

Murakami told Interview, "In Japan, there is no high and there is no low. It's all flat." Jeff Howe wrote in Wired that "Murakami likes to flaunt that he can make a million-dollar sculpture and then take the same subject and crank out a bunch of tchotchkes [trinkets]." While his aggressive marketing of his own images and his practice of selling inexpensive knick-knacks alongside his high-priced original works have aroused some controversy in the art world, Murakami sees no reason to change. He told Howe that to him, art is "more about creating goods and selling them than about exhibitions." from notablebiographies.com

 Bring it, TM.  Love asians. (<--is that okay to say? Yay, Practice blog.)

(an interesting (perplexing, baffling even) interview with Murakami in 2000.  Murakami has a whole philosophy associated with his art, though this is a little bit of narcissistic turn-off when it comes to artists that peak my interest, I have to remember that this guy does have a doctorate, after all.  Hmph. Men.)

No comments:

Post a Comment