Monday, June 20, 2011

Recipe: Beets

I love my veggies.  But I've never really tried beets and I want to like them so much that I hesitate to try them for fear of having a bad experience.

This beautiful pic (and other great veggie pics) appear in the blog by Kelly Wearstler, whose name I had heard but never knew who or what she does.  Well, now I know, for one thing, an intriguing blog with amazing pictures.

She includes in this recent post an enthusiasm (beets are one of her 'all time' favorites and she starts her day with beet juice concoction) for beets and a recipe that looks like something I could handle.

Roasted Beets
Ingredients
10- 12 small beets
4 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
8 oz. delicious goat cheese
Olive Oil
Corse salt & freshly ground pepper
Fresh thyme, or any fresh herbs you like
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 F. Wash the beets well, remove greens and place in an oven-proof dish with garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover with foil and roast for about 25 minutes, or until you can easily slice a knife through the beet. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and slice into wedges. Toss beets with your favorite greens, fresh herbs, goat cheese and vinaigrette.
Vinaigrette
Ingredients
½ cup really good olive oil
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ tablespoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon
Directions
Mix shallots, Dijon, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil until mixed well.

No comments:

Post a Comment