Friday, March 25, 2011

Wishlist

I've been thinking hard about what to write about this week.  Its been a tough one; I'm not really 'loving' anything right now and my focus has mostly been on how hard it is to save money.

I'm a girl who likes to dream... and since reading 'The Secret' I've been all in on the idea of 'focusing clearly on what you want'.  Well, not really all in, since I very often am focusing on what irritates and aggravates me, which is a big no-no according to 'The Secret'.  I'm coining the term 'page browsing' right now.  This is what I like to do.  It's the internet, catalog, magazine, weekly ad window shopping that I do literally every day.  It usually makes me happy, though sometimes its frustrating -what kind of mother buys $200 dollar boots while her two-year-old daughter lives in a less-than-700-square foot house in Pleasantville? 
One of my goals right now is to do less of this 'page browsing', since committing my new rule of saving at least $1000 dollars a month. (I feel fortunate that I actually have this much 'expendable' income -but don't tell anyone! You know who I'm talking about -free car, make that two free cars, I've been paying half your car insurance for the past two years, down payment on the house and closing costs, I'll pay for my family's Xmas gifts and for half of yours... you are officially cut off!) 

On the other hand, I think its good -for two reasons at least: First, its helpful to know what I'm working so hard for, what I'm torturing myself for, I'm a visual person and having pictures that make me happy keep me motivated.  I do a lot of daydreaming, its my nature, but my daydreaming does tend to take a path that leads me to finding ways to connect my dreams to reality.  Also, I am the mother of an amazing beautiful little girl so I have a firm investment in my here and now. Second, I also feel like -and this may be a bit of rationalizing to get what I want- shopping and researching product reviews and pricing and collecting website wishlists helps me to feel connected.  Feeling connected to people and the larger world of humanity is big for me, I need that.  Being culturally aware is important for anybody and, for better or worse, this is how I do it.

In accordance with my monetary diet, the first and most important material item on my wishlist is a new house.  The only true and non-negotiable criteria is that it is in a 'good' school district and is affordable.  What in my mind defines 'good' school district needs some fleshing out -its not an easily discernable trait. (Looking at school 'report cards' is not enough.)  The house is for Kara.  So, for Kara, I also want a nice neighborhood, a great backyard, a big bedroom -maybe even a playroom or play area!-, an extra bathroom, close to a park and/or library, close to her friends and family. (though, at this moment in time, this is not what I want- I have no friends, Kurt's friends leave something to be desired and both our families are varying degrees of irritating.  I tend to believe, jobs notwithstanding, that getting away -like, out-of-state style- would be good for us).

I'm really loving this first house...


And I could live in these PotteryBarn living room pictures...


(loving the new Spring Sparrow pillow cover, btw.)


No comments:

Post a Comment